Who Is Rugby For?

Type the words "rugby is for" into a search engine (google is a popular one I believe) and the first four suggested search categories are "rugby is for wimps", "rugby is for idiots", "rugby is for posh" and "rugby is for sissies". All technically true I suppose. I decided to embrace this negative online perception and illustrate the first image result under each of those four categories – wimp, idiot, posh and sissy. I had to turn on safe-search filtering for "sissy", be careful of that one...

This crying child was the first image result for the search term "wimp". It seems a little harsh, but then I don't know the guy, maybe he is a wimp. In terms of his rugby credentials, the shirt he's wearing looks a little bit like a rugby jersey, so that's a start.


This character (photographed after his arrest) certainly looks like an idiot. He might make a good openside flanker, willing to stick his head where more intelligent types wouldn't. He'd have to play by the rules though, those tattoos would make it pretty easy for the referee to identify the guilty party (as it was for the police who arrested him no doubt).

Victoria Beckham doesn't strike me as a rugby player. She could lip-sync the anthems maybe?

I'm not sure who this woman is, but the fact that she's a statue would have distinct advantages on a rugby pitch. What she might lack in pace and elusiveness she would more than make up for in solidity. I wouldn't like the thought of trying to tackle 6 feet of solid bronze.

No comments:

Post a Comment